Ahoy there me mateys! I have recently been given awards by several awesome bloggers. As I am a bit of a neat freak and want to be organized, I thought I would have a separate page for these. So here it is!
Side Note: This pirate captain reserves the right to ignore any rules she wants to. Arrrr!
I want to thank Ashley @ dreamingthroughliterature for nominating me for this award. Check out her blog!
•Thank and follow the blogger who nominated you.
•Answer the questions they gave you.
•Select your own questions and nominate 5 more bloggers.
Do you like reading horror? If yes, what’s the last horror novel that you read and loved?
- I like reading horror. I was a big Stephen King fan back in the day. Haven’t read any this year that I can think of. I loved Needful Things and the Shining.
Do you like to go to the bookstore to simply browse around or do you only visit when you’re out to buy a specific book?
- Love to browse, especially if I am in a new port.
What’s your favorite quest you’ve ever taken though a book?
- I loved choose-your-own adventure books when I was 8.
What’s your favorite movie adaption of a book?
- The Princess Bride
What’s a character you loved just as much on film as you did in the book?
- Lisbeth in both of Dragon Tattoo adaptations.
What’s one of your favorite quotes?
What’s been one of your favorite reads so far in of 2016?
- Toss up between the serpent king and age of myth
You’re time-zapped on a foreign planet and have no idea how to get back to earth, who are 3 fictional characters you hope got transported with you?
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Kaywinnet Lee Frye, and Jayne Cobb
Much thanks to Orang-utan Librarian who is awesome. Visit her site. Her post on Catch-22 made me laugh.
I want to thank Meg @ themegnoglistblog for nominating me for this award. Check hers out. Cause I am the Captain and I said so!
•Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
•Answer their 3 questions.
•Include one meme and one quote you really like.
•Nominate 8-13 bloggers to receive this award.
•Ask your nominees 3 UNIQUE questions.
•Add a link to the awards creator: Tara @ flowerinarainyday.
What has been a special moment for you so far in 2016?
- This was a special moment for me in 2016!
What is the last show you binge-watched?
- Lie to Me. Wonderful and fun. And Kang Ji-hwan is so good looking,
What advice would you give your younger self?
- Go out and try new things and be adventurous. Worked for me the first time.
- Have ye ever been on a ship or dinghy or raft or some other kind of boat?
- If so, what kind, where were ye and did you like it?
- Can ye swim?
- Orang-utan Librarian
- Anne @ Inked Brownies
- Ashleigh @ A Frolic Through Fiction
- The Penguin @ Betwixt the Pages
- Reg @ She Latitude
- Liam @ Hey Ashers
- Amanda @ Cover to Cover Mom
I was nominated for this award by Kirsty @ kirstyreadsblog. Thanks matey! Check out her blog!
- Show the award on your blog.
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Share seven facts about yourself.
- Nominate fifteen blogs.
- Link your nominees and let them know of your nomination.
- My current Goodreads “Read” list has 1272 books on it (as of 7/16/16). I know I have read more than that but . . .
- My current Ports to Plunder list (known as tbr or on Goodreads as “Want to Read” list to you landlubbers) is 488 books (as of 7/16/16). Update: 949 as of 2/4/17!
- My Ports to Plunder list does not exclude the stacks of books in me hold already that are awaiting further scrutiny.
- I am always on the lookout for new books to commandeer. This pirate captain can never have enough.
- I will read almost anything though straight-up romances novels are generally not me thing.
- If I borrow a book from a library, love it, and know that I will re-read it at some point then I tend to buy a physical copy for me bookshelves.
- That being said if I get a book and know I won’t re-read it, then I usually donate to a local library.
I nominate the following bloggers in me crew:
Hope ye liked me facts!
I was nominated for this award by Milou @ simply a book drunkard. Check out her blog!
Wonderland, Neverland or Narnia?
What is the last picture you took with your phone?
- a picture of the cover of a book of spirits and thieves. I take pictures of book covers so I remember to add them to my ports for plunder list. Arrrr!
Have you ever danced in the rain?
- Nope no dancing. Though I have been known to run through the rain making sure to jump into every puddle I come across.
Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?
- Snow White, of course!
What is your perfect pizza?
- Pizza margherita. Yum!
Which book should everyone read?
If you could have personally witnessed anything, what would you want to have seen?
- all of the opening night productions of Shakespeare’s plays performed at the Globe
Take the book closest to you and flip to page 37. What is the first sentence?
- “He can shrug off things that would kill any regular man, and when he’s moving, just keep out of his way.”
What was the first thing you thought when you woke up this morning?
- What day is it?
Tell us a fun fact about the country you live in.
- The only American president who was an executioner: Grover Cleveland. As sheriff of Erie County, New York, he hanged a murderer.
Do you believe in ghosts?
- Haven’t seen one but maybe they are out there.
Not going to nominate people cause the blogs I read have been established much longer than mine!
I was nominated for this award by Mia, Lynette and Vibha @ Geeky Fangirls. Go visit their awesome blog!
– Thank the one(s) who nominated you
– Answer 11 questions the blogger gives you
– Give 11
random facts about yourself
– Nominate 11 bloggers that you think deserve this award too
– Give them 11 questions to answer
– Let the bloggers know you nominated them
I am skipping the random facts cause I want to and I listed some earlier on this page. But I will answer ye questions. Arrr!
What would be your favourite fictional world to live in?
- I do not want to give up me current life but if I could add a skill it would be to sail not only across the world but across centuries and into myth like the ship in the book the girl from everywhere.
What fictional character would you want as your best friend?
- I will keep me current real mateys. For all me flights of fancy, I am a rather practical pirate captain. Those I can count on today are those I will keep. Of course I love adding new members to me crew but ye have to earn me trust first.
If you didn’t blog about what you currently do, what do you think your blog would be based on?
- It would be photography or art or archeology or theatre or . . . but I would need more skills to write or do those things.
If you could own any pet in the world (including mythical creatures) what would it be and why?
- I want a giant telepathic super intelligent large cat. I’m talking like bigger than tigers are today. But not so big that it couldn’t fit on me ship! Why? Cause they are awesome.
In which country is it your dream to live in?
- I don’t have a country that I want to live in permanently. I currently like discovering new ports and cultures. Though I have lived in over 10 American States and London. But settle down? Maybe when I am old and grey.
What is your favourite celebration (eg. Christmas, New Year, Birthday etc) and why?
- I love Thanksgiving in the States. It is one of those holidays where no matter what port I am in, strangers and friends come together with food and good company. It’s a rather inclusive holiday. Celebrating Thanksgiving in London was awesome. It involved smuggled pumpkin pie!
What’s the most precious/sentimental book on your shelf?
- All of them. Seriously, I don’t have a lot of spare room in me quarters or hold and try to de-clutter every time I change ports. As a matter of fact, I just unloaded books the other day to save space. So what I keep has meaning to me. I try not to keep books I won’t reread. Plus some are from me younger days, some have wonderful cover art, some were gifts from people I adore . . .
Who was your first fictional crush?
- Can’t say that I have had one.
What’s your favourite genre of music and why?
- While I like music, I am not a huge music lover. I am partial to alternative but listen to a little bit of everything except country and hard rap.
Harry Potter or Twilight?
- HP. Twilight should walk the plank!
What song describes you/your life?
- Sanity in the Asylum by Matt Keating.
Not going to nominate people cause the blogs I read have been established much longer than mine!
I was nominated by Jill @ rantandraveaboutbooks and theorang-utanlibrarian and Carrianne @ Cuppa ‘n Critiques and Donna @ chocolatenwaffles. Love these blogs!
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice for new bloggers.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to.
The Story Behind the Captain’s Quarters…
What’s in a name? I am a pirate captain. Me ship’s logbook is stored in me captain’s quarters.
Why did I start blogging? I started me blog on January 4, 2016 and have been happily continuing ever since. It started as an online log for me to keep track of what I read and what me thoughts were on the various ports I visit. I had no real expectations of getting followers but I have been pleasantly surprised that ye scalawags think me (b)log is of interest.
Advice For New Bloggers…
Tip #1: Read and comment on other seadogs’ blogs.
What did I learn? That writing me blogs are fun but reading other peoples are even better. I find awesome blogs that I want to follow and awesome books to add to me ports to plunder list (known as tbr to ye landlubbers). Occasionally a matey that I follow will choose to follow me. Arrrrr!
Tip #2: Have fun!
What did I learn? This seems like silly advice me mateys but it isn’t. Here’s why. I write me blog for me in the format that I like. Me blog might not be for everyone and that is okay. I write keeping in mind that I might have an audience but if no one reads me blogs I still have what I want which is an online log of most of me reading. Ye shouldn’t feel pressure to perform or to blog a certain amount or to get a certain amount of followers to be “successful.” That being said every single time I get a new follower in me crew I can’t help but Arrrrrrr!
And The Nominees Are… (I tried to pick mateys who have never received this before. As always feel free to ignore.)
I was delighted to find out that Brigitte @ the book and the bone had nominated me for this award! Her blog is awesome and I highly recommend you all go check it out!
Rules for The Dragon’s Loyalty Blog Award:
- Display the award on your blog.
- Announce your win with a post.
- Link the blogger who awarded you.
- Present six deserving blogs with the award.
- Link your awardees in the post and let them know of their being awarded.
- Write seven interesting things about you.
- I’m small but fierce (Arrrrr!)
- Me sister and I share the same birthday but two years apart.
- Both me sister and I were preemies.
- I was born 3 months early and was so stubborn even back then that the nurses thought I would make it.
- Besides sailing and reading, some of me other hobbies include hiking, camping, napping, and plotting.
- I am allergic to corn. It developed later in me life. It sucks. I miss popcorn, corn chips, and corn on the cob the most.
- I love wearing hats. I own quite a bit but am always on the lookout for new ones.
I nominate (but feel free to ignore)
- Stefanie @ yourdaughtersbookshelf
- Amanda @ cover2covermom
- PiratePatty @ books, books, and more books!
Thank you to the lovely Emily Rose @ Rose Read for nominating me for this award! My first!
Update: I was also nominated by the lovely Zeezee with Books. So I am goin’ answer her questions too!
- Thank and link the blogger that nominated you.
- Answer the 7 questions that the nomination has provided you.
- Create 7 questions for your nominees.
- Nominate 7 other bloggers.
Emily Rose’s questions:
Where are you from? What’s your favorite thing about that place?
- I originally hail from the port of Baltimore, Maryland. My favorite things about B’more are Maryland style crab cakes and the Orioles (Arrrr!)
If you could have any fictional creature as a pet, what would it be?
- I want a giant telepathic super intelligent large cat. I’m talking like bigger than tigers are today. But not so big that it couldn’t fit on me ship!
Have you ever met an author and got a book signed? Who? What was your conversation like?
- I am not big into signed books. I don’t think I have ever met an author now that I think about it. But I do have a signed book by one of my favorite authors, Garth Nix. It came that way. You can read about him on this blog post.
What are your top 3 favorite animated films?
- Hmmmm. The Last Unicorn. Robin Hood. Beauty and the Beast.
Longest book you ever read?
- Les Miserables by Victor Hugo in English. My copy was somewhere around 1400 pages. Worth the read though.
What’s a hyped book you have 0 interest in reading?
- The Infernal Devices and Mortal Instrument series.
What’s your favorite time of the day to blog?
- I don’t have a favorite time of day. It’s more like when I have a substantial time frame to blog. I do try to write my reviews immediately after I finish the book I am reading so the details are fresh.
Do you think you would survive a zombie apocalypse?
- Of course matey! It’s just another adventure for this pirate captain and her ragtag crew. Pretty sure me cutlass would come in handy. As would me ship for sailing to deserted islands to re-supply. Add in the cannon for firing on those pesky zombies. Of course if there are zombie white whales or giant squids then it could be tricky . . .
How do you think the phrase “taste the rainbow” came about?
- Because of skittles of course. Tasty!
If you happened to fall into a fairy world that somehow matched who or how you are, what sort of fairy world would that be?
- The world from the girl from everywhere of course! I want to sail usin’ those awesome maps! Arrrr!
Do you think you’d survive in Westeros?
- Even the best sailors in Westeros seem to walk the plank, however I would fight til the bitter end. And if I could get me own dragon then perhaps I would have a chance . . .
What your favorite book by your favorite author?
- Bah! I could almost run ye through for this question. Though I suppose I can give ye some leeway since ye did give me an award. Well take a look at me goodreads shelf and ye tell me 😉
If you use e-readers, what needed change would you make to them?
- I love me Kindle but would like to allow customization. For example being able to sort me books the way I want to rather then by author’s name or title of book. Removing the silly tabs in the browser like “trending” or “most visited.” Being able to remove apps I have no interest in ever using like “free time” or “wishlist.” I am the captain and I want to be in charge of everything on me Kindle!
What’s the last nonfiction book you read?
- I am going to bend the rules here and say that everyone should read the immortal life of henrietta lacks as this is one of the most powerful books I ever read. The science in the story was amazing. The personal stories in it were heartbreaking. I think of this book often but have never thought a post I wrote about it did it justice. It is an extremely important story that does need to be kept alive.
I am not going to nominate or ask anyone else questions with this one even though I enjoyed it. I just wanted to answer Emily Rose and Zeezee’s questions!