Ahoy there me mateys! I haven’t done one of these in a while because of finishing compiling me Series Shakedown tallying and me Wayfare Wednesdays posts. It be time. For those scalawags new to the crew, me blog started in January 2016. It originally took several months for me to learn about NetGalley and then attempt to use it. In fact, my first review was submitted to NetGalley on April 3, 2016. Weirdly, I didn’t post a review of that book on me blog at the time. Now, of course, I am a NetGalley junkie and am continuously perusing the loot and raising a celebratory glass whenever I get approved. It hasn’t gotten old. But even this pirate Captain has been declined at times. While trying to plan me eArc readin’, I was curious about how often I had been rejected so of course a tally was needed. When I originally tallied that number was 44 but has since increased to 89. Well me scalawags, here be Part Nine of explorin’ the rejections and seeing what me thoughts be all these days later. This post be surveying rejections 41 through 45. Hope ye like it. If not sod off cause I be enjoying meself . . .
Side note: all book titles link to Goodreads and the cover photos are from there too.
41. marabel and the book of fate (Tracy Barrett) – I know exactly why I requested this middle grade fantasy. Unicorn on the cover of course! Also it helps that this is a story about a realm that has picked the wrong chosen one (the brother) and a girl (the sister) who has to save him. I adore girl power and twisted tropes. I adore that the hero is this story has been overlooked because of the prophecy. This apparently also has fairies, trolls, and giants. So aye, this definitely stays on the ports for plunder list! Arrr!
42. aru shah and the end of time (Roshani Chokshi) – I really wanted to like this one as it be a Rick Riordan Presents book. The blurb has cool things like this “The only way to stop the demon is to find the reincarnations of the five legendary Pandava brothers, protagonists of the Hindu epic poem, the Mahabharata, and journey through the Kingdom of Death.” It didn’t work for me at all and I abandoned it. I couldn’t get into it. I didn’t even write a review of this one for the blog. I have abandoned two series from this author so far so maybe her work is not for me.
43. before mars (Emma Newman) – This be the third book in the Planetfall quartet. I have read the whole thing and adored all of them. I will likely reread this series at some point in the future. I love this author’s work and even though there is no sign of a book five, I certainly want one. Just know if ye read this series, books one to three can be read as standalones. However, ye must read all three of those books before reading the last. For me review of this book click here.
44. grey sister (Mark Lawrence) – I loved the first book and was so bummed when I didn’t get book two. Then I decided that it was fine because I would wait until three came out and read the two books back to back. I figured that way I wouldn’t forget details. Turns out the author conveniently gave summaries of the prior books in the beginning to refresh memories. I wish all authors would do that! I have finished this series and didn’t end up loving it. No regrets though. For the review of this book click here!
45. the wild robot escapes (Peter Brown) – This is the second book in the wild robot duology. I absolutely adore this series. The story is certainly very cute but the illustrations are amazing. They claim these books are for middle grade. I claim they be for everyone. Cause who doesn’t love robots? If ye be a robot lover then check out me reviews for books one and two. Arrrr!
So out of the five rejections in this set we have:
1 still on the ports for plunder list, 3 port visited and enjoyed, and 1 port quarantined and never to be visited again.
Keep a weathered-eye out for more rejections and always remember:
Q: How does a pirate get to the top of the building?
A: By elevate – arrrrrrr!
Hardy har har!
x The Captain
Previous Log Entries for this Series
Check out the new Tally – NetGalley Rejections page!